

When I was an awkward young girl in the late '70s and early '80s, I desperately wanted to be just like two women: Jaclyn Smith (aka Kelly Garrett on "Charlie's Angels") and Valerie Bertinelli (aka Barbara Cooper on "One Day At A Time").
I couldn't understand why Farrah Fawcett (aka Jill Munroe) was getting all the attention when it was so obvious that Jaclyn Smith was way more beautiful. She walked the fine line of being both pretty AND smart (with the requisite updo and glasses), plus, she looked NICE. Farrah, on the other hand, looked like the popular cheerleader who would steal your boyfriend. Also, Jaclyn wasn't overtly sexy like Farrah. She looked classy pointing her gun in a white bikini and heels!
Valerie Bertinelli was the pretty, bubbly, popular girl next door. She wasn't intimidating popular. She looked like the girl who would give the new girl at school a tour of the campus and take her shopping at the mall for new clothes. She also seemed vulnerable and a bit damaged...after all, her parents were divorced, her sister was a drug addict and their super, Schneider, kept barging into their apartment. Oh how I longed for a beige corduroy blazer and a boyfriend named Cliff. Later, Valerie would grow up to marry her male doppelganger Eddie Van Halen!


1 comment:
I thought the same thing about Jaclyn Smith! How can people be so blinded by a blond mane?
Post a Comment