Monday, September 22, 2008

The Royle Family



I'm obsessed with "The Royle Family," the BBC comedy which first aired in 1998. The show revolves around a working-class family living in the Manchester suburb of Wythenshawe. All the episodes (except one) takes place in the family's home and revolves around the upcoming wedding of daughter Denise to Dave (season one) and (in season two) the impending birth of Denise and Dave's baby. Most of the episodes have the lazy family sitting around the "telly" making banal conversation. The show would be really boring if it weren't for the great writing and great characters. And to boot, I've learned lots of british slang:

tea: evening meal
ta: thanks
pissed: drunk
squirty cream: whip cream
washing up: doing the dishes
gob: mouth

I've only seen two seasons because I can't get a hold of the third season. I don't think it has yet been released here in the U.S.
One warning though: there's lots of smoking, drinking, nose picking and farting so it can get kinda gross sometimes. Oh, and the awesome theme song is by Oasis!

1 comment:

The Mincing Mockingbird said...

Love this show! The Frantic Meerkat and I got it from Netflix after seeing this. Here's another one I had to look up:

"owt" = anything

And a bonus was Jessica Stevenson from "Spaced"! (A secret crush - don't tell the Meerkat)